Wednesday, December 28, 2005
....professionalism ?
I have had some of my work (most of them on signal processing) made freely available on the internet. Some students and professionals contact me regarding the things I have on the world-wide-web. I feel good when they contact me. Sometime back one Chinese student contacted me asking my permission whether he could use one of work for his thesis. I really felt good to know that my work was of help to somebody. Well until now I have actually helped more than half a dozen students and one professional across the globe in using my works. I was happy to help them because:
1. They showed some sort of professionalism during the first contact email.
2. They came back with references and affiliations.
3. They would try out the debugging techniques I suggest and prepare a report and mail it to me, so that I could understand what was happening.
4. They seemed like they WERE putting some effort into it.
I am an Indian, but I am rather ashamed to say that I could not see any of above mentioned characteristics out of four Indian students who have contacted me until now.
(I have had no prior contact with any of these students or professionals)
Below is a version of an Indian student who wrote the first contact mail:
Hello Sir,
I was browsing through the internet and found your work XXX very interesting. I am currently doing YYY at ZZZ university/college. Your code works very well. I think your work will be helpful for my project work. But for my project I am facing difficulty in implementing :
1. problem1
2. problem 2
3. problem 3
Could you solve these problems and mail me at the earliest.
Thank you
Ccc
Hmmm…what does he mean by “Could you solve these problems and mail me at the earliest.” … does he think he’s my boss…. BULL-CRAP..I wrote
Dear ccc,
Please forward me your affiliations and references.
Thank you
For which he replies
Hello Sir,
Why do you want my affiliations and references??.... anyways I have already told you I am a student of XXX university/college.
Please could you solve those problems as fast as possible
Thank you
I replied…
Dear ccc,
Let me know how much effort have you put in and what are the error reports.
Thank you
Guess what he replied within 24hrs….
Hello sir,
I have been trying to write and run that code but its not working…. I have attached the specifications copy of the program, please code according to the specs and forward it to me at the earliest.
Thank you
ccc
Well this was heights…. First and foremost I could not understand what effort he has put….next he did not send me the error reports which meant his effort was literally “ZERO”…and man o man look at his guts…..he sends me his specs and actually “orders” me to submit the code at the earliest… I just could not bear this fella anymore… I don’t know what “actually” he thought I was…. Bull-crap…….. give me a break…I replied
ccc,
Seems like you don’t know shit about what you doing in your project…..so..
UP –UR –ASS
He never replied back… this was one such e-mail conversation with one of the Indian students… well the thing is the rest three Indian students were no different from this guy.
One guy went as far as…
”Could you mail me the project report of this work, its urgent, Thanks in advance”
Well…. I am sure he was presenting my whole work as "his project"..more so he wanted to present the project report which he thought he could make me write it up for him … crazy asshole!
They were either looking to get their work done by me, just plagiarize or just lazy….
I guess it would be too unprofessional on my behalf to reveal their names and stuffs… but I need to vent out my anger…so here are the institutions from where they “told” they hailed from:
1. Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay (M.Tech)
2. National Institute of Technology, Surathkal (B.Tech)
3. University of Texas, Austin (Masters)
4. some university from Illinois (Masters)
I still do not intend to generalize. However even in my experience I have faced such Indian students, sometimes even so called “IT Proffessional”. Well I guess the “IT Proffessional” with whom I had such bad experiences might be the students of similar kind who got jobs in “Software Industry”.
Its a pathetic state altogether....
1. They showed some sort of professionalism during the first contact email.
2. They came back with references and affiliations.
3. They would try out the debugging techniques I suggest and prepare a report and mail it to me, so that I could understand what was happening.
4. They seemed like they WERE putting some effort into it.
I am an Indian, but I am rather ashamed to say that I could not see any of above mentioned characteristics out of four Indian students who have contacted me until now.
(I have had no prior contact with any of these students or professionals)
Below is a version of an Indian student who wrote the first contact mail:
Hello Sir,
I was browsing through the internet and found your work XXX very interesting. I am currently doing YYY at ZZZ university/college. Your code works very well. I think your work will be helpful for my project work. But for my project I am facing difficulty in implementing :
1. problem1
2. problem 2
3. problem 3
Could you solve these problems and mail me at the earliest.
Thank you
Ccc
Hmmm…what does he mean by “Could you solve these problems and mail me at the earliest.” … does he think he’s my boss…. BULL-CRAP..I wrote
Dear ccc,
Please forward me your affiliations and references.
Thank you
For which he replies
Hello Sir,
Why do you want my affiliations and references??.... anyways I have already told you I am a student of XXX university/college.
Please could you solve those problems as fast as possible
Thank you
I replied…
Dear ccc,
Let me know how much effort have you put in and what are the error reports.
Thank you
Guess what he replied within 24hrs….
Hello sir,
I have been trying to write and run that code but its not working…. I have attached the specifications copy of the program, please code according to the specs and forward it to me at the earliest.
Thank you
ccc
Well this was heights…. First and foremost I could not understand what effort he has put….next he did not send me the error reports which meant his effort was literally “ZERO”…and man o man look at his guts…..he sends me his specs and actually “orders” me to submit the code at the earliest… I just could not bear this fella anymore… I don’t know what “actually” he thought I was…. Bull-crap…….. give me a break…I replied
ccc,
Seems like you don’t know shit about what you doing in your project…..so..
UP –UR –ASS
He never replied back… this was one such e-mail conversation with one of the Indian students… well the thing is the rest three Indian students were no different from this guy.
One guy went as far as…
”Could you mail me the project report of this work, its urgent, Thanks in advance”
Well…. I am sure he was presenting my whole work as "his project"..more so he wanted to present the project report which he thought he could make me write it up for him … crazy asshole!
They were either looking to get their work done by me, just plagiarize or just lazy….
I guess it would be too unprofessional on my behalf to reveal their names and stuffs… but I need to vent out my anger…so here are the institutions from where they “told” they hailed from:
1. Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay (M.Tech)
2. National Institute of Technology, Surathkal (B.Tech)
3. University of Texas, Austin (Masters)
4. some university from Illinois (Masters)
I still do not intend to generalize. However even in my experience I have faced such Indian students, sometimes even so called “IT Proffessional”. Well I guess the “IT Proffessional” with whom I had such bad experiences might be the students of similar kind who got jobs in “Software Industry”.
Its a pathetic state altogether....
Comments:
<< Home
yenno sarva...
my expectations are not high.... the students who have contacted do not seem to have any professionalism... may be its my bad luck.. or their bad luck..hehe
Post a Comment
my expectations are not high.... the students who have contacted do not seem to have any professionalism... may be its my bad luck.. or their bad luck..hehe
<< Home

